Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

Pattern testing for Handmaiden's Cottage :)

I love the gorgeous patterns by Lynn of Handmaiden's Cottage & a few weeks ago I was delighted to find in my inbox an email asking me if I would be interested in testing the new PDF pattern she's working on as she needed another size 5yrs tester. After checking with her when the deadline for finishing it would be I instantly said yes please! 

I had no idea what the pattern was going to be like but as I already have a fair number of her patterns & others on my wish list I knew whatever it turned out to be that I & our G were going to love it.

The pattern turned out to be for a delightful patchwork dress called "Little Gypsy Queen". It has a very twirly skirt, an attached sash and lovely elasticated ruffly collar. It is a super easy pull on style with no fastenings & instantly our G was excited. When I told her that she would get to keep this dress as it was a pattern test & not an order - her excitement had her squealing with delight.

I knew the dress was going to need at least 5 different fabrics to bring out the patchwork style so we went through my current stash of fabrics together to choose what I'd be using to make it. We decided on 3 of my Dena Designs Kumari Garden fabrics and 2 Riley Blake fabrics that all mixed and matched beautifully. For the collar and sash I used some gorgeous cream coloured cotton sateen to give the dress an extra special luxurious touch.


Then came the difficult part... I needed to send Lynn photos of our G modelling the dress to give her an idea of how it fit along with my feedback. Lighting is always best for photos outside and if it was summer heading outside to do summery dress photos would be no problem.. but it's April and spring has been very tardy arriving here in Nova Scotia this year. So I had a dilemma.. going outside for good photos and braving some cold or staying inside where it's warm. Thankfully last Friday afternoon the weather was briefly kind and the sun came out for a brief moment.. it was still on the cool side but warm enough to dash outside for a quick photo shoot. A week later and today we're back to winter temps of 1c and snow so I'm grateful the test deadline was not this week!


When my big fabric order comes in next month I shall be adding this style of dress to my etsy shop.. so check back here or keep an eye on my FB page for future announcements :)

P.S. you can find Handmaiden's Cottage on facebook here - https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Handmaidens-Cottage/119677008105185

No comments:

Post a Comment